Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Corn on a Chopstick

Today I had to get myself to and from school on my own for the first time.  I remembered my bus schedule fine (and did not miss any) but almost got lost after getting off at my last stop when my school was directly across the street.


Some of my friends and I went looking for a nail salon after school today, but we got tired of walking before locating one.  It was kind of exciting, however, to use new Chinese vocabulary to ask directions along the way.  Navigating traffic as a pedestrian in and of itself gave us all an adrenaline rush.  They say that in Chengdu the most dangerous part of your day is crossing the street.

I still have not see the sun in Chengdu nor even blue sky.  At least the lack of sun means a tad bit less heat on some days.  (The humidity has taught me why Chinese women wear their hair in buns so often.)  Sometimes, when exercising, it is hard to get a good, clean deep breath, as if Chengdu were at at high altitude.  Otherwise, the pollution is not much worse than the usual smells and fumes of an American city, and I have not seen nearly as many people smoking as I remembered from my previous visit to China five years ago.

Still no sign of any other foreigners besides the NSLI group (and all of the models in advertisements)!  The homogeneity is astounding, at least for one from the world's mixing pot.

Weirdest thing I ate today: corn on a chopstick.

Does not quite compare to Indiana's fresh sweet corn.

5 comments:

  1. Corn on a chopstick? I'll be leaving for China on the 25th of July. Xi'an is 9 hours away from Chengdu by car, so i don't know if i can visit :/ Anyways, hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your 8th "member"! That's good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Taucher (She's too stupid to figure out how to comment): Tsk tsk, nail salon ;) How can i contact you?

    Those were all her words, including the stupid part.

    P.S. Commenting on a blog is so hard. I have to verify i'm not a robot every time i want to post something. It makes it really hard to spam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually dreamed in Chinese for a bit for the first time ever about two months ago. All i did was correct a kids Chinese pronunciation... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5th comment... i couldn't leave 4. that would be bad luck :)

    ReplyDelete