Sunday, July 10, 2022

三峽、鶯歌、坪林 Sanxia, Yingge, Pinglin


The first few weeks of summer after COVID have flown by with a flutter of activity.  This week especially, I’ve been saying farewell to many foreign friends leaving Taiwan for home.





In Sanxia in New Taipei City, my hometown friend Charlie, his local Taiwanese friend, and I toured one for the oldest temples in Taiwan and then dyed our own cloth using local indigo plants.  We ate 金牛角 “golden cow horns” AKA Taiwanese croissants.  Mine was matcha-flavored with red bean filling.



Then, we went to the pottery old street in Yingge.  I took a catnap on a stool surrounded by ceramic Buddhas in the corner of a pottery warehouse, while my friend had a deep discussion with vendors on which ceramic tea set he should buy.



On Saturday, I went to Pinglin, a region known for growing 包種茶 pouchong tea.  After a meal (and a pouchong matcha latte) at an adorable tea house, we toured a marvelously aesthetic tea museum, and hiked around mountain trails.  We had originally planned to bike a scenic trail through tea fields, but we learned the town has a policy of NO bikes until July 15th.













No comments:

Post a Comment