Thursday, July 7, 2022

溯溪 River Tracing

I went river tracing for the second Saturday in a row, but this time with all Taiwanese rather than all Americans.  Needless to say, it was a vastly different experience.


Last week, we were 8 Americans, and the friend organizing was already worried it was too big of a group for hiking.  This week, we were 26 people and one puppy.  Once seeing the tiny puppy, I should've known exactly what sort of hike I was getting myself into.  There was also an unofficial tour guide, because Taiwanese people are not as accustomed to planning independent trips.






Last week, I hiked in athletic clothes and my Chaco's sandals, and it was perfectly fine.  This week, the leader took one look at my feet and said absolutely not.  He pulled out some men's river tracing boots from the trunk of his car that magically fit me, and placed a bike helmet on my head.  There was a lot more rappelling this week down enormous boulders.  In addition to river boots and helmets, most people were wearing full wetsuits, gloves, and life jackets.  Then, after we slowly hiked for a measly twenty minutes, they all stripped down to their bikinis to take photos for two hours.  One of the people with us was an influencer and was doing Tik Tok videos in front of the waterfall.  Another one of the people made a full ten-minute video of the experience.


Graphic made by one of the photographers who came along


No comments:

Post a Comment