Monday, August 10, 2015

张天骄~Lily (together again after three years!)


Learning to play mahjong
Visit to National Museum of China

Beijing opera mask, as painted by my friends


At a traditional tea house for a farewell dinner with my host family
(While I lived in a dorm during the HBA program, I visited with them on weekends and for the Dragon Boat Festival to eat the best meal in China I've ever had.)
Live shows during the meal displaying traditional Chinese culture, such as dancing, instruments, kung fu, opera, magicians, and tea pouring

While in Beijing I was able to meet up with Lily (), my Chinese host sister from three years ago in Chengdu.  She now goes to college at MSU in Michigan, which she says is incredibly different and more intense than what college would've been like in China.  Even going to school in the States she still almost exclusively spends her time with other Chinese nationals, so her spoken English is still far out shadowed by her written academic English (a common phenomenon with students from China).  I also learned that only about one or two applicants from the entire city of Beijing are admitted to Yale every year.

2012
2012
2015 - Lily and I today



No comments:

Post a Comment