Saturday, August 11, 2012

Only in China

I made my own fried rice for breakfast today!  What I could not finish I handed to the maid/aunt saying I wanted to save it to eat tomorrow.  She replied with "oh, okay, eat tomorrow" and dumped it all in the trash.  Sometimes I feel like my accent might be a little off.

My host sister is absolutely convinced that I am partly blind (and this is with my glasses on).  Because farsightedness happened to be mentioned on my application, she now believes that whenever I do not immediately understand a piece of text before me that I cannot see it, so she will read it aloud for my benefit.

I finished my first Chinese book today!  It was labeled for ages 5 and up, but those five-year-olds must have been on brain steroids.

My host family will always look at me strangely whenever I ask for a cup of water, as Chinese meals are never served with drinks.  Water itself (especially cold) is rarely the first choice anyway, probably because only bottled water is clean enough to drink, and soda is cheaper than bottled water.  Today at lunch I asked Lily why they do not drink with meals.  Her response, after thinking about it seriously, was that maybe the food was so "delicierous" that they could not stop eating to drink.  (Instead of replacing the L sound with the R sound, my host sister tends to simply add an extra R in any words containing an L.)

US map painted on the wall of a Chinese class room.  Can you spot the mistake?

Every single time I cough or sniffle, someone in my host family will exclaim, "You have a cold!"

Sitting in a restaurant with my host mother and sister this evening, a group of old men came up to our table and interrupted our dinner to demand what I (an obvious foreigner) was doing with a Chinese family.  I am perpetually shocked by the presumptuousness and lack of shame of some Chinese people when it comes to staring at and shouting at foreigners.

Today I thought my host sister was saying zebra when she really meant eraser ...and this was not even in Chinese.

Famous Chengdu dessert (like melted ice cream with fruit)

Weirdest thing I ate today: beans + rice = purple goo in a bamboo stalk
It is almost all gone in this picture



No comments:

Post a Comment