Sunday, August 21, 2022

24 Hours in Thailand

On the way to meet my parents in Southeast Asia, I found cheaper flights by taking a 24-hour layover in Bangkok.  It was the perfect length of time for a solo trip.  Of all of the places my parents and I visited this summer, Thailand felt the most like Taiwan, but still not quite as wealthy or Westernized.  From my brief time there, it also made an impression that Thailand had royalty and a distinct religious culture.

Khao San Road




It was a huge shock going from seeing barely any foreigners in Taiwan to staying in Khao San Road, the backpacking capital of the world.  The area was packed with hostels, restaurants, bars, and massage parlors full of European tourists.  I've never seen so many blond children in one place.  All the Asians (locals and Chinese-speaking tourists) were wearing masks, while all the Westerners were not.  Since they aren't required, I went to leave my hostel without my mask, but then I got too self-conscious and ran back to grab it.  In Taiwan, masks are still required everywhere, even outdoors.

Street vendor selling Thai dessert

The food was really fantastic.  I ate pad Thai, banana chocolate roti, and taro sago.  I had a Thai-style massage, which are similar to what's offered in Taiwan.  Whereas massages in the US you never want them to end, traditional Asian massages you can't wait for them to end, because the masseuse is leaning an elbow into your pressure points.

Grand Palace


Grand Palace


Jade Buddha

Grand Palace


Grand Palace

I was the first one at the breathtaking Grand Palace the following morning.  It was nearly empty of tourists but packed with glittering buildings.  After that, I went to Wat Pho, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.  I had riverside lunch of Thai green curry and mango ice cream with a view of Wat Arun across the water.

Wat Pho

The Reclining Buddha


Saw this pose multiple times everyday in SE Asia, and I'd never seen it in Taiwan

No comments:

Post a Comment