Thursday, June 16, 2016

Bienvenida a Nicaragua

My research trip in Nicaragua began with a bumpy two am drive through the countryside from Managua to León in a vehicle that was a sputtering go-kart more than a car.  We talked a lot with Juan, the driver, who promised us when we left we would leave a piece of our hearts in Nicaragua.

My research partners and I (a Yale MPH student named Vishnu, and two other rising Yale juniors, Hannah and Sara) are all staying in a beautiful hostel together.  We will be doing research on HPV in urban and rural areas for the next two months.  May to November is winter here, so we came just in time!  90 degree weather everyday but not too humid so it's bearable.  Rainy season is coming...






My room is nothing special, but the view of the courtyard from the balcony is glorious.  The geckos in my room make cute noises.  Only one earthquake and one mosquito bite so far!

Parque de San Juan right near our hostel

My new street vendor friend

Nicaraguan baby on a bus welcomes me!


Walking around tonight we happened upon an enormous parade in honor of UCAN university's anniversary.  It was a whole line of decorated semi-trucks with flatbeds packed with college students dancing to loud music.  The first night here we watched the NBA finals in Spanish together.

No comments:

Post a Comment